Blog Archive

Saturday 5 January 2008

Nice piece on the passing of OG Style from the Houston Chronicle

CLICK HERE TO READ ANDREW DANSBY'S PIECE ON OG STYLE, WITH COMMENTARY FROM K-RINO, SMURK and DJ STYLES.

ALSO XXLMAG.COM FEATURED THE LEGEND ON THEIR HOMEPAGE AND OF COURSE IN A TRIBUTE BY NOZ WHICH HATH BEEN NOTED BELOW.

All of which was quite nice. Maybe a feature on the unhearalded legends of rap who somehow always kept a career is in order. K-Rino, C-Bo, Young Bleed, half the Bay, Point Blank, Bobo Luchiano, Psycho Drama, E.C. Illa, man there's just so many. SO MANY artists who have lived on beyond the hype. Artists who have paid mortgages for their entire adult lives without the help of the Source, XXL, Vibe or Clear Channel (or Clear Channels equally evil cousins). Maybe it's time to shine light on some of these other living artists outside of the blogs and Murder Dog.

Maybe it's time. I don't know how y'all feel, but seeing three certified Houston legends pass in only two months makes me think that I need to step my game up. I may have to pick up the pen again and deal with these editor drones and "fact checkers" and well, maybe not. I have a family to feed as well.

Anyway, I have no idea what to do. All I know is that when I was on Damage Control, the goal was to support artists who were trying to support themselves. Not suck the dicks of the fake motherfuckers only out for a pay day. There's so many artists out there walking these streets, alive, creating, and being over looked by so many. Then they die and people start to pay attention for a day or so. Such is life, this is nothing new, but fact is, in 2008 we have WAY more outlets than we did when I was coming up. More radio stations, a million more magazines, websites, TV shows and entire stations, etc. But it seems that even less is being covered. Much less is being played. The Top 40 is now a Top 4 and I blame it on complacency, laziness, selfishness and hatred for those who might want to do for self.

We don't all have to be cogs in the machine, but these corporate entities might make you think otherwise. I wish I could give a K-Rino CD to every kid in the ghetto wanting to rap. I wish I could open the eyes of those who diss and dismiss independance in favor of riding the corporate wave. I wish I could convince the editors of these magazines that music is more than a marketing budget. But alas and alak it may be pointless.

Sorry, I'm a little depressed right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment