Blog Archive

Tuesday 22 April 2008

Han Bennink and Peter Brotzmann in Houston This Weekend!

(I posted all this and more at AustinSurreal.com. Don't mean to neglect HoustonSoReal, but I haven't gone back in like 6 weeks now soooo, things happen. But I'll be in the big, big city this Sunday and Monday so come down to Diverseworks and check out one of the true greats - Han Bennink and another great - Peter Brotzmann - and lets kick it on down. Enjoy the videos.)

...See, I am a lil obsessed with this Dutch drummer named Han Bennink so I'm gonna check him out on Saturday in Austin at the Victory Grill and on Sunday in Houston at Diverseworks with Peter Brotzmann. Two improvisers who wreck fucking shop real talk noam talm bout?

Anyway, I wrote about Han on HoustonSoReal before and posted some pics I took of the Instant Composers Pool when they played Diverseworks a couple years back. I'll have a full report and photos next week. For now check out some of this YouTube footage and get familiar with what you just might see should you heed my advice and come out to one or both of the shows.

Like I said, I'm pretty obssessed. Han Bennink is my favorite musician. No lie.


Peter Brotzmann & Han Bennink (2006) - I bet they are even better now! Ha.


Solo at North Sea Jazz Festival


Solo live in Jimma, Ethiopia


Terrie Ex and Han Bennink Duo


"Solo"


The Ex in Ethipoia 2004


Misha Mengelberg & Han Bennink Duo - Improvisation


Here he plays blocks of cheese. Ah the Dutch!


Part Twee


Here he proves that he is an unparalleled master of rhythm. PEEP THE CLOGS! Ah the Dutch.


ICP Orchestra - 'Criss Cross' (Monk)

Anyway get on his level, I will see you there.

Peter Brötzmann / Han Bennink Duo

Legendary free music duo in a rare Texas appearance.

When:
Saturday Apr 26, 2008
at 8:00 PM

Where::

Victory Grill
1104 E. 11th St.
Austin, Texas 78702

$15 Advance tickets available now @ End of An Ear and Waterloo Records.
$18 @ door

(512) 462-6008 for ticket info
--------------------------------------
When: Sunday, April 27, 2008
8 pm

Where: DiverseWorks (map)
1117 E. Freeway, Houston, Texas 77002

Tickets: $13 general admission / $10 for students; everyone under 18 gets in for free

Peter Brotzmann (Germany) - saxophones, clarinets
Han Bennink (Holland) - drums, percussion

No comments:

Post a Comment