Blog Archive

Monday 27 June 2005

DJ Paul Wall to Screw and Chop new release by The Transplants

The who?



Yeah that's what I said when I first read the post on The Screw Shop. It said Paul Wall was about to screw and chop the new record by some rock band. I had no idea said rock band consisted of Tim Armstrong of Rancid, Travis Barker of Blink 182 (and that MTV show "Meet the Barkers" with his wife the Playboy girl) and Skinhead Rob (who I believe was in Wolfpak if I'm not mistaken).

I'm telling you straight up, I listen to all kinds of music, and the homogenized version of punk rock that MTV has been pushing for the past ten years or so is not one of them, but straight up these cats aren't half bad. Local freelance writer Kwame Anderson (also of the crazy, tripped out noise rock/hip-hop/experimental/wig out/dope fiend group Freedom Sold) was trying to tell me that I would dig 'em, and I kind of laughed. I was like "Dog, I'm not trying to hear no Blink 182 shit, and as much as I liked Operation Ivy back in them days, Rancid never did anything for me... blah blah blah insert pseudo music critic snob shit here."

But then I realized they were playing the Warp tour, and figured Paul would be heading out to link up with them. Eternia (my girl from Toronto who is actually a dope ass MC and singer, more later) had already put me on the guest list, as she was performing in the Code of the Cutz tent, so I grabbed my camera, strapped on my cumbersome and annoying knee brace (yes it's still completely fucked and I have no answers, only vicodins, and no I still have not been drinking or smoking anything and yes I am about to lose it) and headed out into the fray.

And what a fray it was. Thousands of young punks running from stage to stage. Like 50-60 bands deep at this bitch and here's me limping around with DJ Chill in a knee brace, trying not to get knocked over, in hopes of finding Paul and the band so I could get some shots to hopefully sell to some of you photo editors out there who at times peruse the real.

Well after a bit of searching, we found them on the way to sign autographs at the MySpace tent. I've got WAAAAY better shots than these, hi res, 300 dpi, if you want them for your mags. I def am behind Paul Wall all the way in anything he does, and this is like some groundbreaking shit and as far as I know no one else got any shots of all of them together, sooooo holler at me if I haven't already hollered at you. I can get quotes for a lil story, whatever, I need the work.

O.K. I'll stop begging now. Anyway, I'm actually excited to hear how this thing turns out.


Paul Wall and Skinhead Rob, damn that's some murky ass Kool-Aid


GU-U and DJ Chill

And yo loud shouts to my girl Eternia. Definitely good to see you girl. Sorry we couldn't see you perform, but seriously my knee was starting to swell again and all I could think about was how at any moment some skanking mass of teenagers was gonna knock me to the ground and send me to the fucking hospital again for this fucking knee that I am sick of complaining about. So I had to bounce. Nice concept though. WOuld love to see something like this happen for hip hop, you know a huge festival, but alas and alak... probably won't ever happen. Finding 50 groups, none of whom have any beef, is probably not possible in this day and age.


Eternia and DJ Chill


Me and Eternia

Speaking of Canada, will Winnipeg and the T-Dot see Devin the Dude around end of summer? I think soooooo.... Soreal...

By the way, I only sort of ever liked Operation Ivy. Laughing Hyenas and Sonic Youth were way more my speed when it came to raucous rock in the 80's.

And this guy is screwing and chopping the Doobie Brothers... Feelin' it ;)

-----

It's June 27th y'all. Respect that. Pour out a lil something for the man DJ Screw. Straight up, seeing Paul Wall screw and chop a rock album is some fairly groundbreaking shit, and adds a bit more to DJ Screws dream of "Screwing the world up." Man, I wish he was here to see this, and do all this work himself. But it's something we can't change. I'm just glad Paul's doing this cuz he's definitely reverant and has respect for DJ Screw... It's just so crazy....

-----

Have I given you this one yet???

The new single from the G.R.i.T. Boys (sort of)featuring Paul Wall - Produced by Mo Betta "Drink In My Cup."

Download it, jam it, put it on a mixtape, feel it. And leave me some comments. I thrive off your comments. Especially during this little bout of forced sobriety. Fuck me running...

No comments:

Post a Comment