Blog Archive

Tuesday 13 December 2005

Things I have forgotten to post

First up here's last week's Damage Control. We had a dude named Belly on there from Ottawa in Canada who talked down on Kardinal Offishal for some reason. He commented on the fact that so many rappers in Canada make their videos and release their records with "borrowed money," ie: government grants. Well, I live in a country where you can barely get funding for music and art programs in public schools cuz we spend all of our money on war, death, destruction and Halliburton,and he's complaining about his country that actually helps young artists get their work out to the public.

Yes Canada GIVES RAPPERS money to make videos, and he says that's a bad thing. I think "Canada's first gangsta rapper" needs to get an apartment in 5th Ward for a while. I'm not hating, the music is good and he was a cool guy and he's down with my man Jokaman and he brought Sickamore to the studio, so I'm not trippin', but shit man, come live in our hustlin' ass country for a while and see how it really is. I'd like to do the same. I been considering spending some time in Canada. As cold as it is, the people sure are nice and the government doesn't hurt my bleeding heart.

Download Last Weeks Damage Control HERE.

And here you can hear a special from the BBC's 1Xtra on Chopped and Screwed Music - a genre I personally like to call "Houston Music." I'm interviewed throughout and I think they did a really good job.

Check out the BBC's Special on Chopped and Screwed Music Here.

And there's two new websites dedicated to bashing the hip hop magazines. One I cut for 100% - The Bible of Hip Hop, another I don't really dig, called Bitter Vibes as it takes swipes at Mimi Valdes, the editor in Chief at Vibe Magazine.


The Bible of Hip Hop in name is an obvious dig at The Source, a magazine that owes me $1,600 and will probably never pay. In fact they owe a lot of my friends in this writing game money, and need to be taken to task for it as they wither away. Merry Christmas Source Magazine, the Bible of Hip Hop is FOR YOU! And all of us...

Bitter Vibes is admittedly interesting as it is written by an anonymous Vibe employee who talks all sorts of inside personal shit about what happens at their office. I think that Vibe does a better job covering urban music than any of the other major hip hop magazines (except Ozone and I'ma keep my hopes up for Down to keep doing good thangs, but its quite early in the game) so I can't really trip on them. I really don't give a fuck if Mary J. Blige didn't like her cover shot. Inever liked one picture taken of me ever.

And fact is, back ten years ago when I just started getting my internet on, I tried to start this online weekly "Hip Hop Business" chat on AOL when only about 15% of the hip hop biz had internet capabilities. Mimi Valdes was like, literally one of my only supporters. Like I'd send out email invites and then the time would go to be in the chat room and it'd be just me and Mimi. So admittedly I have a soft spot in my heart for this woman I have never met or even sen for that matter. Let her dress however she wants you gossipy little bia...

But I have to admit, it's fairly juicy, like some horrid reality TV show you can't stop watching even though it's the most retardedly ridiculous thing you've ever seen. Bitter Vibes is my new Paradise Hotel or whatever that catty fucking show was called.

Anyway, I'm taking Eva to her friends house and whatever, you don't care about that. Enjoy Damage Control, the BBC and these two new websites...

No comments:

Post a Comment