Blog Archive

Friday 11 December 2009

No more presents

j0422478-main_Full

I recently read this article….. no no please, feel free to go read it, I’ll wait here listening to Christmas Tunes.

No rush.

I’m so sorry, I should have warned you that after reading that you would suddenly have a scrooge image in your head, and the need for some cocoa to get you back in the Holiday Spirit.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love slightly skewed math math to back up your facts, and I know we are in a recession right now, but don’t kick us while we’re down.

The holidays aren’t about giving your “sister-in-law a 35% gross margin marked up sweater”, its about being with and appreciating the ones we love.

If giving the ones I love a gift to say I’m thinking about you is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Now, I wouldn’t be a true Birdie if I didn’t have a tip or suggestion on how to turn this article around would I?

How many of you have those cute little corner gift shops and stores you like to visit and shop at on the weekends?

Did you know that on average for every $100 spent at a locally owned independent store $68 goes back in to the community through taxes, jobs or other expenditures? Only $43 out of $100 spent at a national chain stays in the community. See here.

The next time you’re looking for a gift for a holiday or loved one, check out a local “mom an pa” shop, or take a tour through some online crafter sites. Not only will you be giving support where it is most needed but you’ll likely pay less for a quality item instead of a “35% gross margin mark up”.

No comments:

Post a Comment