Blog Archive

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Painted Cabinets

What do you do when you’ve got UGLY cabinets, don’t have the funds for a total kitchen remodel and really get sick of looking at those ugly cabinets?

Paint those babies!

I have to warn you the following pictures are not pretty!

IMG_0244sigDon’t ask me why I feel compelled to tell you that I don’t normally have pots and dishes on my counters but I do.

IMG_0245sigThe tools were out during the molding portion of this project.IMG_1535sigWho in their right minds ever thought a big block shape of faux wood looked good enough to commit this crime. Yes I just called this a crime!

We removed all the cabinet doors and made sure to use numbered post-it notes to keep the placement right after painting.

IMG_0279sigThe hard part of this whole project was finding areas in the condo to place drying cabinet doors! Well and the tears that almost flowed after the primer was applied and I was positive it was going to look that uneven in the end.

IMG_0283sig    The look of primer is NOT a first time cabinet painters friend.

We didn’t want to have to sand at all (we won’t go into how I hate it with a passion!) so we started with an oil based primer only to discover it wasn’t adhering well and cleanup was horrible. We took the paint back to the store and after grilling the paint guy for an alternative discovered the 123 primer, it worked wonderfully, clean up was so easy and it didn’t have the intense smell the oil based had.

Even though the look of the primer finish freaked me out, it was too late to turn back now so we grabbed our kitchen bath and cabinet paint and pushed onward.

I’m happy we did because I love the change it made.

IMG_2055sigIt’s so much brighter now, I just love it!

IMG_0244sig  IMG_2043sig

IMG_0299sig  IMG_2042sigI LUH-VE my chalkboard menu on the end of the cabinet!IMG_1535sigIMG_2049sigNow for an inexpensive new counter top, an beautiful backsplash and a project for the blank space above the cabinets and I’ll be finished in the kitchen…….for now.

I’m linking to Met Monday, TDC before and after, Room a month, Do it yourself day, Trash to Treasure Tuesday, Get your craft on!, Toot your horn Tuesday, Penny Pinching Party, Show and Tell, Power of Paint Party, Make it Yours Day, It’s so very Creative, Timeless Tuesday, Transformation ThursdayThrifty Thursday,Show off your Stuff Party, Show and Tell Friday, Frugalicious Friday, Funky Junk, I made it without my hubby party

hubbypic-2-1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment